Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Uriah?


     To pick things up with our Oral Knowledge unit and also focusing on the topics my group has been given, I'm going to start of with a knowledge test...of sorts.

     We are going back to the early Bible times on this one...hypothetically speaking, lets say you were a descendent of Heth, which would make you part of the second tribe of the Caananite nations. You live in a place called Anatolia (see map for general region) which is basically the present day Lebanon and your culture was eventually dissolved into a variety of others as your empire crumbled and your language is now obsolete. 

     If you could tell me what the name of your civilization is or i guess what it was, then well....you deserve an A i suppose!

Read more to find out if you were right...



     You are a HITTITE! As a side note there is still a lot of studies going on as to whether they can disprove or prove this connection, but for now it does stand, Hittites came from the Caananite nations.
So I will be doing research on Mesopotamia with a focus on the Hittites, I'm sure like many others, I feel like I lots to learn!
     Have you ever wondered how a language or culture could become obsolete or non existent? I definitely have on a variety of occasions and it was always something really hard for me to understand or comprehend. Especially if it was a culture of any significant size or had any power. However, I think because of experiences i've had over the last 2 and a half years I have caught a small minuscule glimpse of what that might be like and how it would happen over time. I'll explain that later on though.
     The Hittite language was called Nesili. It is the oldest indo-european language that has been discovered.This was unknown for a long time though because the only evidence of this was found on a few clay tablets that were discovered in the 19th century.

A fragment of a Hittite tablet found with
the language called "Nesili" inscribed on it.
     Dr. Peterson's language seed post helped me to understand what a function was as far as it pertains to language, which then allowed me to identify one in the Hittite language.
There is a function of this language that I want to point out and it comes from an excerpt from the text "The Epic of Gilgamesh" which was a story told throughout ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia of the which the Hittites were included in. So have a go at this and see if you can see the oral function...
"Humbaba’s mouth is fire; his roar the floodwater;
his breath is death. Enlil made him guardian
of the Cedar Forest, to frighten off the mortal
who would venture there. But who would venture
there? Humbaba’s mouth is fire; his roar
is the floodwater; he breathes and there is death.
He hears the slightest sound somewhere in the Forest.
Enlil made him terrifying guardian,
Whose mouth is fire, whose roar the floodwater. "
   —Tablet II
     I understand that this might be difficult to pick out, but it is the function of Repetition to drive a point home or  powerfully portray what is happening. The words "Mouth is fire; his roar the floodwater;" appears three times in this short piece.

     Now I'll just touch quickly on my earlier question about how I feel I can relate to a language that has become obsolete. I'll try and keep it brief and understandable.
A hispanic family from my mission
I served my mission and was called to serve Spanish speaking. As I learned spanish I was engrossed in the culture and the language. I believe that being around it constantly was definitely a catalysts for learning the language. During my mission, repeatedly I told myself, never will I let my spanish diminish or anything of that nature. Easier said than done....
The oral knowledge that I had of the Spanish language and my ability to preserve it has been extremely difficult, mainly because my opportunities to use it are sparse and i'm not engrossed in it as I was earlier. 
     This is similar to what happen with the Hittites. They once were a strong civilization that flourished but as their empire began to crumble and they were overtaken by neighbouring civilizations, outside influences became stronger and concentration of their own language was eventually not enough to support itself. Once again, very similar to how I feel about my own spanish knowledge now that there are other oral influences in my life.


4 comments:

  1. I like what you said about the languages disappearing, because I have definitely noticed that with my own Spanish. I studied it in high school, but haven't in college and the skill goes away. So many small languages in the world have died out and are dying out because they don't have prestige or political power, so the people have no reason to continue speaking them (except for the language itself). I also thought it was cool that the tablet was written in cuneiform. I've heard about it a little bit, but didn't connect it with this society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oral language is definitely dependent on deliberate effort. If we don't purposefully put forth effort in maintaining a language- it fades away. That's the crappy thing about oral knowledge- that it just doesn't (usually at least) stay ingrained unless we really want it to. It's not like riding a bike or driving a car--we can stop driving for a year and come back and know how to. With things learned orally, that is definitely not the case, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I think you did a really good job contextualizing this information, and making it personal) As far as civilizations that have slowly become obsolete, I kind of feel like that could easily happen to Native Americans in the next couple hundred years or so. Even now you have to go out of your way to learn about different tribes, and if I've ever heard their language spoken I certainly don't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't... fit... so I posted a whole thing :)

    ReplyDelete