Saturday, September 17, 2011

Krav maga- Hand Combat

I apologise for the late post but this was the only time the person I could teach was available. I've been racking my brain all week about what I am good at so that I could teach someone. And then I remembered: I have been taking Krav maga classes for quite a while, and even though I'm not being taught now I still teach myself. And it is folk knowledge. I never really considered martial arts folk knowledge but it is. You can learn out of a book but you will always learn better from an instructor.




Now what is Krav maga? Krav maga is Hebrew for "hand combat." It was developed by the Jews in eastern europe when the Nazis took over as a means of self-defense. After the country of Israel was created it became even more important as terrorist attacks increased. Krav maga is an integral part of the Iraeli army, and since every citizen must serve for at least two years every citizen knows Krav maga.





I started teaching my roommate by showing hime the proper fighting stance. It's important that you don't clench your fists as this tenses your mucsles so your reaction time is increased.


This in the proper fighting stance. (This in not a video.)


I then taught my roommate how to get out of front and back choke holds, how to block knife thrusts, and how to disarm people with guns. Since giving a description of the moves would bore people this video clip shows what you can do with Krav maga. This video is intense and I enjoy watching it a lot. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment