Friday, September 16, 2011

Next stop....Wimbledon!



I’ve always loved sports and have played them throughout my entire life. Another thing that really enjoy as well is teaching, I think I fully realized this during my mission. So I was excited to hear that we had the opportunity to teach something to someone and frankly I knew what type of thing I wanted to teach but I wasn't sure of the what specifically.














Katie was kind enough to allow me to take a bit of her time so that she could learn the rules and basics of an ancient game first played by Monks for leisure purposes during religious ceremonies. That game being Tennis. 
At first, Tennis was played with hands only, no racquets or anything.  Then as it evolved there was a glove brought into play and then finally the racquet. This was nearly in the 14th century though....It actually wasn't until 19th century that Tennis became what we know it to be today. 


Tennis is a rather simple game which makes it fairly well known....so it was my task to find someone that didn’t know how to play. Not exactly easy, but it worked out really well. Katie and I spent about an hour going over the basics of Tennis and practicing some of the common swings and fundamentals of the game. 

For someone that had never played before she caught on very quickly and understood everything really well! One thing is for sure though, in order to teach tennis it's not quite as simple as saying hit the ball here and make sure you don't do this and that. There are somethings that I attempted to teach but for me to explain it in words was extremely tough. Some things for Katie will have to be learned through practice and patience. That's one great thing about the hobbies and sports today, if you look at many of them you'll notice that they aren't too complex to understand and moderately people can pick up the general idea after a short amount of time. This aspect makes it great for all ages and lifestyles. However, it's after hours and hours of practice and hard work that one could be called a "Pro". My cousin taught me to play tennis and he was in turn taught by his father. I pass along the technique and fundamentals to Katie who now to a large degree can pass the knowledge on to someone else. As goes this folk knowledge forward through time....

No comments:

Post a Comment