Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crocheting with Megan


(Let me preface this by saying I didn’t read Dr. Burton’s example posted prior to completing this assignment…)

Megan teaching me to crochet.

Since I am now fortunate enough to live next to family (seventeen months in Arkansas without my older sister wasn’t always fun) I asked Megan to teach me how to crochet or knit (as she is an avid knitter and crocheter). At that point, I had no idea there was a difference. They both screamed “old lady” to me.
Megan came over to my dorm on Sunday night and she taught me how to make a crocheted swatch (see picture for evidence).  As she helped me get started, I struggled to hook the right loop or to stop pulling the yarn too tight or too loose.  Like a young child learning to write, my sister guided my hands as she demonstrated the movements needed to make the stiches. In total, I attempted to make the swatch (that my sister labeled “wonky”) about five times. It was a pathetic endeavor, but I tried. Although the result was less than perfect, my sister was able to (attempt) to transmit the knowledge of how to crochet- something she enjoys doing. 

The beautiful (ha) result.

 This experience of learning from my sister about an art that I previously labeled “FOR OLD PEOPLE ONLY,” reminded me of a few other, but nonetheless valuable pieces of folk knowledge that I tend to ignore or pass up the opportunity to learn about. Indexing, gardening, and canning come to mind. Those are all wonderful things- but I tend to associate them with old people- and I haven’t fallen into that category just quite yet. There have been numerous occasions that I could have learned how to index from my grandfather and grandmother or canning and gardening from my aunts and mother, but I haven’t because of this lame excuse: “that’s for old people.” I guess learning how to crochet from my sister negates the “old people” excuse I tend to lean on when faced with a day of (woo—hoo) canning tomatoes!!!! I think the reason there is such a disconnect with “old” people and us eighteen years olds is that we are unwilling to step into their lives and learn about what they like to do. That’s when people connect. They connect when they are able to share their passions and talents with one another.


1 comment:

  1. P.S. I really tried to insert a jump break but it just wouldn't work for some silly reason.

    ReplyDelete