Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Burial Practices


Humans have been burying their dead for more than 100,000 years. Burial of some sort is found in nearly every culture on earth. It is said by some scientists to be the earliest evidence of human religion. It is so widespread, in fact, that I wonder if a large part of it isn't simply instinctual. Burial is a practical solution to a dead body as well as one that makes sense emotionally. The customs surrounding the burial, on the other hand, are certainly learned.

Probably the most famous example of unique burial customs is ancient Egypt, where important people's bodies were preserved in a process called mummification, then placed in large and elaborate tombs that were meant to be useful in the afterlife. But Egypt wasn't the only culture to have elaborate customs, nor the only culture to mummify remains.

The Chinchoro tribe of South America started mummifying remains about 2000 years earlier than the Egyptians did. Unlike the Egyptians, the Chinchoro didn't just mummify the remains of the rich and powerful. They mummified everyone, even miscarried fetuses. The methods of mummification were also quite different from the Egyptian method. In the earliest method, the Chinchoro would completely take apart the body, removing the internal organs, skin, and flesh. Then they would reinforce the body with sticks and plants and put soil and leaves in the body cavities to fill the volume. The facial features were reconstructed with clay, and the whole thing was painted black.

It is impossible to tell just quite how this knowledge was passed from generation to generation, but it certainly was. The practice continued for thousands of years. I imagine it was probably passed on like most things. As children grew up, they would witness the mummification of their elders as the elders died, and they would come to assume that the same thing would be done with their own bodies at their own death. Some children would be trained to carry out the mummification themselves as they got older, probably from watching and assisting an older, more experienced person.

We in LDS culture have our own unique customs surrounding death, which I have learned both from experiencing them and hearing of others' experiences. When someone in our culture dies, they are embalmed by running preservation fluids through their veins, arranging their facial features to look lifelike, and dressing them, before placing in a coffin. Friends and family members are invited to first a viewing of the body, then a funeral service. The funeral service consists of musical numbers (which likely have been hastily thrown together by the more musically inclined of the person's grandchildren), and short, often emotional, and usually hopeful talks about the person's life. Then the grave-site is dedicated, and the casket is buried and covered with a commercially prepared headstone. While there are always people crying at such events, the mood depends a lot on how old or ready to die the person was. My great aunt, for example, died about a month ago at ripe old age of 90. Although we loved her and were sad she left us, the funeral was so cheerful that the talks about her made us laugh so hard we nearly fell out of our seats.


Sources: http://artslivres.com/ShowArticle.php?Id=211, http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/chinchorro/, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchorro_mummies.

5 comments:

  1. I actually just attended the funeral of my late grandmother this last weekend. There's something special about being able to physically bury the dead, something satisfying about putting them to rest. The funeral procession, the hurst, and the casket are fundamental to our American and LDS culture; even to those who's job it is to carry out these funerals multiple times daily, I bet there's a special feeling that a heart can never harden towards during each funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information, i thought it was very interesting. I really liked how you mentioned that burial customs were related to religion in some aspects. It does say a lot that people take so much time to perform these customs for those that have passed on. It also makes me think of how even in the largest of battles in the Book of Mormon they always took the time afterwards to bury those of their own that were killed but also their opponents. In my mind it seems like the right thing to do obviously, but that would not be an easy task to do after such battles. There is something about it though that does bring a peace of mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really been to a funeral. The closest I've ever been to one is that I helped set up the chapel in our ward building for one, besides that I've never experienced one. I don't know how I would react if it was for someone I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regardless of culture and regardless of who just died, people need closure after someone they know passes away. Funerals, or burial practices provide that much needed closure. About 3 years ago, a young father that lived on our street and who I babysat often for unexpectedly passed away, leaving behind his gorgeous wife, young daughter, and a daughter on the way. The night he died, I went over to our other neighbors house where Kennedy was and our neighbor asked if I could babysit her while all the adults were trying to figure things out and make sense of the situation. As I was giving Kennedy a bath, she was asking for her dad and I couldn't tell her, because at the moment, I really didn't know what happened. It was such a sad thing for me- even as an outsider. I was someone who didn't even know David on a personal level yet I couldn't stop crying that night and many nights thereafter. Although a funeral is mainly for the family- I felt much needed closure when I went to David's funeral. I recognized that although Kennedy and her soon-to-be sister would never know their dad, Heavenly Father was mindful of them and their mother. That brought me and I think all in attendance peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think taking death seriously and making an event out of it indicates a sanctity for life. Hugh Nibley (i'm not bringing him up just because he's the man of the hour... this is actually what first came to my mind) gives a talk called The Doctrine of the New Birth and in it he says that people who are spiritually reborn of God have a unique sanctity for life. I don't think this means that just because a group of people that happen to have religious burial practices that it indicates the entire civilization has been Reborn, but I do think that we could suppose that at least one person in the community has some of that sanctity for life, a small testimony that there is an afterlife that starts a trend throughout the entire civilization. So the fact that you say burial practices were almost always tied to human religion makes complete sense

    ReplyDelete