Monday, December 5, 2011

Typography Thesis

Well this has been a long time coming! Oddly enough I haven't had to write a paper all semester long and so that has made it nearly 3 years since i've written a paper. That is a long time...People can forget things in that amount of time and that's what I feel like has happened to me. I looked at the Better Thesis Website and ran mine past it and this is what I have come up with.

Although William Caslon’s variation type won wide acceptance among american colonies, John Baskerville was most influential as he introduced further variations to Caslon’s type and brought new direction in Typography because of his relatively wider spacings between letters, exaggerated page margins, and his own variations of roman letters and italics.

Is this how you feel with finals coming up???
I realize that it might not make a whole lot of sense because you don't know who the names are or certain aspects so I guess I can't expect you to critique that, but it would be good to hear how well you understand the idea of it and if it flows well and if you can simply just makes sense of what i'm proposing. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I think your thesis is a good one. It is understandable and flows nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really strong. Your position isn't watered down at all and it's clear what you're addressing. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if I could put in three reasons like that because none of the theses on Dr. Burton's site do that, but that's the kind of paper we're used to writing. I think it's a strong start, though, we'll just have to ask about the list thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Alyssa: Often theses for college papers avoid the 'listing three reasons' thing because it can tend to sound a bit high-school-ish (I don't think Kody's does, but I've seen a lot that do). If it works best, then you can probably do it, but don't feel obligated to.

    To Kody: This looks like you have a good topic to argue. It is also my first essay of the semester, so I feel your pain. I was a little confused by the word "most." Are you trying to say that Baskerville was more influential than Caslon, or are you trying to say that that was the area that Baskerville was most influential at in his life? Also American Colonies should probably be capitalized (and I don't know if typography should be).

    ReplyDelete