Monday, December 5, 2011

Typography Thesis- I could use some help.

I'm having a bit of a problem with finding a thesis for this paper. I've been in the library for over five hours, looking through books on typography. I hit wall after wall. Some of my thesis ideas are these: Ornamentation in books have declined because of changing societal values; How fancy fonts have fallen into disuse because of changing societal values.
All I can find so far is books on ornamentation in books and font types. They do not actually give me the history for why these type of fonts were used and why they declined etc.
If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Well i'm not sure but I don't think fancy fonts have fallen into disuse, they just play a different role now I think. Dafont.com is evidence of that. I think you should look more into the ornamentation idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'fancy' might be hard to define. If a font was common, then it probably wouldn't have been called 'fancy' back then. You could maybe do something on increasing legibility of fonts. I also think it could be interesting to write about ornamentation in books. (I wouldn't necessarily say it has declined, because I've seen some pretty ornamented books, but the method and purpose of ornamentation has changed)

    ReplyDelete