Monday, November 14, 2011

3 New Friends!

Ni Hao!
That was the extent of my Chinese abilities and I guess i can't say "was" because that it still the extent of my abilities. So it wasn't much help when we needed to translate this:




After getting our artifact in class and considering our options on how to get this translated into english the best possible way, I took a picture of it and sent an email to a friend that I have in China. 
I met Jack nearly a year ago in Los Angeles on my mission. He's had moved there for schooling purposes and wanted to be a rock star of sorts. My companion and I taught him the lessons and he accepted the Gospel very humbly. It was amazing especially because he didn't have any christian background at all when we first met him.
                                        


Jack moved back to China this last spring and I wasn't sure when he would get back to me just because it has been quite sporadic since he's gone back home. Good thing we are at BYU and there's a fair amount of diversity.
As I was walking on campus I saw lots of people that were of Asian ethnicity but I really couldn't tell who was from China or other countries. I didn't want to ask every single one that I saw either just for rejections sake I think?
However, when I saw Kate, Tracy, and Erie just outside the Wilk that changed. I walked past them and could tell that they weren't speaking English but I had no idea what language it actually was? I kept walking past them but my curiosity got the best of me and after about 3 seconds I turned around and called after them. Luck was in my possession that day!
They were all from around Shanghai and have been attending BYU for the past couple of years. They were extremely willing and a huge help. And this is how we learned what our artifact said.




Thanks Erie, Kate, and Tracy





1 comment:

  1. Hm, so if these were Japanese characters, in the order as if we were reading English, they are "friend," something, "person", "thing," something, something, "ahead," "down" or "give," "hand", something, and "strong." Yay, I know 7 out of the 11! I don't know if it is the same in Chinese (I'm about to go watch the video), but I still feel good. Chinese is awesome.

    ReplyDelete