Monday, November 28, 2011

Typography Bibliography

I wasn't planning to do my post on typography but I had a writing class on type and how it should be used I decided to do that. I always thought type was interesting. I mean, who as a little kid hasn't gone on to Microsoft Word or some equivalent and messed around with the font and size of the letters. I remember making very complicated titles for stories I never even started to write. I would just dream up an awesome sounding title and make it look cool. Now, all my brothers and sisters do this back home.

Roberts, W. Printers' marks : A chapter in the history of typography. London, England: George Bell & Sons,1893.
Gives some general aspects of printer's marks. Goes through the printer's marks of England, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Dutch and Flemish and then gives some modern examples. Has a lot of info. Sidenote: W. Roberts was nicknamed "the bookworm." [Found this on the BYU library website.]

Goudy, Frederick W. Typologia : studies in type design & type making with comments on the invention of typography, the first types, legibility and fine printing. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1940.
Typologia presents more or less graphically Frederic Goudy's work in type design and describes his own methods of type production. His remarks on type legibility and fine printing, as presented in the body of the book, present the conclusions of a craftsman intensely interested in every phase of typography. [Found this on the fifth floor of the library.]

Hoe, Richard March. The literature of printing. A catalogue of the library illustrative of the history and art of typography. London, England: Chiswick Press, 1877.
Richard Hoe was something of an expert in the world of printing. He invented the rotary printing press which could fold newsprint as fast as the eye could follow. The title basically explains the book: history and typography and a how-to type of instruction for it. [Found it near Typologia.]

Frederic Nelson Phillips, inc. (firm). Phillips' Old-fashioned type book : showings, alphabetical and otherwise, of approximately one thousand odd fonts of old-fashioned, exotic, ancient and antique type faces; old-time printers' ornaments, borders, cuts, &c.; many old specimens of printing, advertisements, bills, labels, &c.; old reprints of history & other interesting data on printing & typography of long ago. New York: Grederic Nelson Phillips, inc., 1945.
Are you out of breath from reading the title. I got out of breath and I was reading it in my mind! Goes through a lot of old fonts (about a thousand), what types were used with advertisements, bills etc. [I so the super long title and I pick it up and it turned out to be about typography.]


Reed, Talbot Baines. A history of the old English letter foundries; with notes, historical and bibliographical, on the rise and progress of English typography. London, England: Faber and Faber, 1952.
A History of the Old English Letter Foundries was first published in 1887. Writing as an enthusiastic amateur historian, and wholly incorporating Edward Rowe Mores' classic 1778 Dissertation on English Typographical Founders and Foundries, Reed inspected a multitude of type specimens to supplement the veracity of his mostly bibliographical presentation.


All of these books can be found on Amazon and Google Books.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is cool that so many people in our class chose to do their bibliographies on typography. I hadn't really even ever thought of it as an issue before, but I guess it's a pretty big deal how letters look on the page. I just always took it for granted that type letters look a certain way in common fonts, but I guess someone had to come up with that font.

    ReplyDelete